Bellevue Truck Accident Lawyer
Truck accidents are uniquely dangerous, involving collisions with vehicles 20 to 30 times larger than the average commuter car. This size difference frequently leads to serious and debilitating injuries. If you were involved in a truck accident, it’s possible to hold the responsible parties accountable through a claim or lawsuit. You don’t need to carry the burden of someone else’s mistake forever.
At Herschensohn Law, we proudly support those recovering from truck accidents. We can handle every detail of your case and fight for every cent. Contact us at (206) 588-4344 for a free case consultation today.
What Should I Do After a Bellevue Truck Accident?
The aftermath of a truck accident is often stressful and confusing. Between your serious injuries and medical bills, you might not know what to do next. However, there are a few steps you can take to get your case on the right track, including the following:
- Schedule a doctor’s appointment: If you’re injured, you need to speak with a doctor as soon as possible. They can diagnose your injuries and provide you with a treatment plan. Additionally, medical reports create verifiable records of your injuries; without these records, it’ll be challenging to prove that you were injured.
- Notify law enforcement: State law requires that truck accidents involving injuries or property damage exceeding $1000 be reported to the relevant local law enforcement agency. Therefore, if the police weren’t at the scene of your truck accident, it’s likely that you’ll need to submit a collision report, according to the Bellevue Police Department.
- Gather evidence: Contact information of involved parties, images from the accident scene, and proof of your expenses are all essential truck accident evidence. While our team of Bellevue truck accident lawyers can gather this evidence on your behalf, it doesn’t hurt to get a head start.
- Consider legal support: Truck accidents have multiple moving parts that you, as a survivor, don’t need to manage alone. Weigh your options and consider working with an experienced law firm; it could make all the difference.
Feeling overwhelmed? Our Bellevue truck accident lawyers can guide you through your case from start to finish.
Why Work With Bellevue Truck Accident Lawyers?
After an accident, it’s normal to run into problems like:
- Insurers offering you less than you deserve
- Not knowing what to do next
- Being unsure if a settlement offer is fair
- Uncertainty about filing a lawsuit
- Confusion about the process of filing a lawsuit
- Struggling to figure out who is responsible for your injuries
Our team of Bellevue truck accident lawyers can address all these problems on your behalf. We provide our clients with the following services:
- Answering any questions you have about your case
- Building your case and legal strategy
- Standing toe-to-toe with insurers and the liable party
- Protecting your best interests
- Always fighting for the best settlement possible
- Taking your case to court if needed
What Are Truck Accident Damages?
Truck accident damages are the types of losses you can receive compensation for after a truck accident. They include the following:
- Present and ongoing medical expenses
- Lost wages during your recovery
- Reduced earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Property damage, like vehicle repairs
The types of damages available vary from case to case. This is only a brief list, and some damages not noted here may apply to your unique situation.
The Value of Your Case
The value of your case will hinge on several factors, including:
- Your pre-injury earning capacity
- The severity of your injuries
- Relevant medical expenses
- The law firm your choose to work with
- The outcome of settlement negotiations
At Herschensohn Law, we can review the details of your accident to determine an appropriate settlement valuation. This way, you won’t be going into settlement negotiations blind. The more you know about your case’s worth, the better.
Who’s Liable for My Truck Accident Injuries?
The liable party in a truck accident is responsible for reimbursing your losses. If you cannot identify a liable party, you may receive less compensation than you otherwise would. For a party to be liable, they must have caused or contributed to your injuries by behaving negligently, or they are responsible for someone who caused your injuries.
Possible types of liable parties in a truck accident case include:
- A trucking company: Bellevue and the rest of the state adheres to a law known as vicarious liability. Under this law, you can hold employers liable for the actions of their employees. Similarly, if a trucking company’s direct actions, like encouraging employees to shirk federal safety regulations, caused your accident, they could also be held liable.
- A trucker: Some truckers and commercial vehicle drivers operate independently of companies. If one such driver caused your accident, you could pursue a claim with their liability insurer or file a lawsuit.
- An individual driver: Just because your accident involved a truck doesn’t mean it was caused by a truck. Individual drivers cause truck accidents, too.
- Other examples: Other less-obvious parties, like a government agency or vehicle manufacturer, may have played a role in your accident. Uncovering these types of liable parties typically requires an in-depth investigation.
How Do I Demonstrate Liability?
Proving liability requires evidence, which, after a truck accident, often includes:
- A trucker’s daily log, used to document hours of service
- Dashcam footage
- Traffic camera footage
- Eyewitness statements
- Expert input, like a crash reconstruction specialist
- Medical records
- Proof of expenses and damages
At Herschensohn Law, we have your post-accident investigation covered. Our team of Bellevue truck accident lawyers can gather evidence, interview witnesses, and connect with relevant experts on your behalf. Wasting time scratching your head about liability isn’t necessary; we have your back.
The Elements of Negligence
This evidence alone isn’t enough to prove that another party is liable for your injuries. After gathering evidence, your lawyers will use what they’ve collected to meet the four legal elements of negligence. Essentially, these criteria connect a party’s actions to your injuries.
The elements of negligence involve proving that:
- The liable party owed you a duty of care: Truckers, trucking companies, and individual drivers all owe other roadway users a duty of care. This duty translates to a responsibility to keep others from harm. It is a given in most truck accident cases.
- The liable party didn’t uphold this duty: Behaving negligently, like running a red light, hiring drivers with unsafe records, or otherwise ignoring roadway rules, breaches the duty of care.
- The liable party’s negligent behavior caused your accident and injuries: This element of negligence is self-explanatory; the evidence must show that another party’s negligence directly caused your injuries.
- You suffered verifiable damages: From vehicle repairs to medical expenses, you suffered verifiable damages after your truck accident. Medical records, receipts, and expert assessments help verify damages.
Our firm is intimately familiar with the elements of negligence. If you join our firm as a client, you won’t need to stress over identifying another party’s negligent behavior.
Don’t Wait to Get Started on Your Truck Accident Case
After a truck accident, you typically have three years to file a lawsuit, per the statewide regulations stipulated in RCW 4.16.080 While this might sound like a long time, a strong case takes months to build, so it’s best to not run down the clock.
We’re here to keep your case moving forward. Contact our office to connect with our team of Bellevue truck accident lawyers today.
Our results speak for themselves
After a worker was electrocuted on a construction site and suffered life-changing injuries, we fought and won on their behalf.
When a retired man was killed in a truck accident, we made sure his grieving family got fair compensation.
When a defective medical device harmed our client, we fought to ensure they had the financial compensation needed to recover.
Hurt? Let our law firm handle the details
When you request your free consultation, Kent personal injury attorney Zach Herschensohn will listen to you, answer your questions, lay out your legal options, and give you down-to-earth legal advice.
When you work with our law office, there are no obligations, hidden fees, or fine print. It’s that simple.