Seattle Hit and Run Lawyer
Washington law, per RCW 46.52.020, requires all drivers to stop and stay at the scene after an accident that involves injury, death, or property damage. Otherwise, they are subject to criminal penalties. One would think all this would be enough to keep a driver from fleeing the scene. Unfortunately, some people panic and drive off for fear of the consequences, especially if they don’t have insurance.
If you were hurt in a hit-and-run, you may be wondering how you’re going to cover your medical bills, lost income, and other damages. The Seattle hit-and-run accident lawyers at our firm can help you figure out your options. Contact Herschensohn Law today at (206) 588-4344 to begin a free consultation.
How Do You Recover Compensation After a Hit-and-Run Accident in Seattle?
This is the burning question. Right now, it may seem like you’ll have to pay for your damages out of pocket, but that might not necessarily be the case.
Consider the following possibilities:
- Your uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage: This policy covers the damages the at-fault driver would have paid had they not fled the scene. UM/UIM is elective coverage, so check your policy terms to see if you purchased it.
- Third-party claim or lawsuit: Sometimes, the at-fault driver might not bear 100% of the fault for the collision. A third party, such as a government agency, could have contributed by, for example, not issuing proper warnings for road hazards. When the other driver tried to dodge it, they swerved and struck you. We could pursue additional at-fault parties for their part in your collision.
Should the police or your attorneys be able to locate the hit-and-run driver, you can file a claim with their insurance company. If they don’t have insurance, you may have the option to file a personal injury lawsuit against them.
Forms of Compensation You Can Pursue After a Hit and Run Accident
Our personal injury lawyers can determine which forms of compensation you can seek in your hit-and-run accident case. Although every person’s situation differs, typical recoverable damages include:
- Medical expenses for past and future care: For emergency transportation, diagnostic exams, surgeries, medical equipment, hospital stays, medications, and follow-up doctor’s visits
- Pain and suffering: For any discomfort or chronic pain resulting from your injuries
- Car repair or replacement bills: For any damage your car sustained or for its replacement if it was totaled
- Loss of income: For any wages, benefits, or opportunities you missed because you were out of work
- Future loss of earning capacity: For any income you won’t be able to earn if your doctor determines you can’t return now or later- at least in the same capacity
- Scarring or disfigurement: For the way your injuries have compromised your independence
- Funeral or burial costs: For any post-mortem expenses if your loved one passed away from their related injuries
We can review all accident-related invoices and bills and evaluate how your injuries have affected your life when we quantify your damages.
How Our Hit and Run Accident Attorneys Can Assist You With Your Case
The aftermath of a hit-and-run accident is stressful enough. Don’t add to this stress by trying to navigate Washington’s legal system on your own. Instead, leave that in the hands of Herschensohn Law. We can build your case and fight for your rights while you get your life back on track.
Some of the responsibilities we can assume for you include:
- Establishing all the negligent and liable parties in your case
- Taking statements from eyewitnesses
- Requesting copies of the crash report from the police precinct
- Compiling and presenting various forms of evidence
- Quantifying all of your losses
- Going to bat for you during settlement negotiations
- Bringing your case before a jury, if necessary
- Speaking to everyone involved in your case, like the insurance company or the court
We put our clients’ needs before anything else, and as a result, we get positive outcomes that showcase that level of commitment.
Herschensohn Law Takes Seattle Hit-and-Run Accident Cases on a Contingency-Fee Basis
With no guaranteed route to compensation, you may feel uneasy about hiring a lawyer to assist you throughout your case. However, when you hire Herschensohn Law, there’s no need to worry about the cost. Our team works on a contingency-fee basis, meaning:
- We cover every case-related expense, from the first consultation to the trial.
- Your attorney doesn’t take an upfront fee to get to work on your case, so we can start investigating right away.
- We don’t ask for any hourly or retainer fees.
- Our firm only collects attorney’s fees if and when we receive compensation for you.
There is almost no financial risk under this arrangement.
Be Aware of the Time Limits on Lawsuits in Seattle
Should filing a lawsuit make the most sense for your case, you must know about certain time limits that Washington state puts into place. Per RCW 4.16.080, the deadline to file both personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits is three years. This time frame may vary based on the circumstances of your case.
However long you have, it’s best to get started on your lawsuit today. If you don’t comply with the deadline, you may jeopardize your right to recover compensation from the other party. In that event, you have to pay out of pocket for your losses. We encourage you to let us know about your accident today, so we can get to work on your lawsuit.
Pursue Justice With the Hit-and-Run Attorneys at Herschensohn Law
We can only imagine the dread you experienced when you saw the at-fault driver flee the scene. Fortunately, you may have a few options to recover the compensation you need to make a comeback from this accident. Turn to the Seattle hit-and-run accident lawyers from Herschensohn Law. If we take your case, we will conduct a full investigation of what happened, evaluate your damages, and strive to obtain fair compensation on your behalf.
Don’t wait any longer and get help today. Get in touch with our team today at (206) 588-4344 to begin your free consultation.
Our results speak for themselves
After a worker was electrocuted on a construction site and suffered life-changing injuries, we fought and won on their behalf.
When a retired man was killed in a truck accident, we made sure his grieving family got fair compensation.
When a defective medical device harmed our client, we fought to ensure they had the financial compensation needed to recover.
Hurt? Let our law firm handle the details
When you request your free consultation, Kent personal injury attorney Zach Herschensohn will listen to you, answer your questions, lay out your legal options, and give you down-to-earth legal advice.
When you work with our law office, there are no obligations, hidden fees, or fine print. It’s that simple.