Boating Accident Lawyer in Kent, WA
- Herschensohn Law Can Advocate For You After a Kent, WA, Boating Crash
- Common Recoverable Damages in a Boating Accident in Kent, WA
- Types of Boating Accidents
- Federal Laws Require Boats to Have Safety Equipment on Board
- You Have a Limited Time to File a Lawsuit in Washington
- Hire Our Boating Accident Lawyer in Kent, WA, Today
Boating is an enjoyable recreational activity many people in the Kent area enjoy. While a fun activity, occasionally, boating accidents happen. If the boat driver drove negligently or recklessly and you or a loved one sustained an injury, you could file a claim or lawsuit against the liable party to recover compensation.
A boating accident lawyer in Kent, WA, from Herschensohn Law could guide you through the legal process. We understand getting into a boating accident is a traumatic event. Our legal team can offer the compassionate support you need to move forward with your life. Reach out to us at (206) 588-4344 today.
Attorney Zach Herschensohn has stood up for personal injury clients for years. He has a strong work ethic and advocates for people who sustain injuries due to others’ negligence. At our firm, we understand the tactics insurance companies use to convince claimants to accept lower offers than they deserve. Our team can ensure you do not get taken advantage of by the insurance company.
When you work with our team, you can expect the following legal services:
- Investigation: Our legal team can determine how the boating accident happened and who caused it. We can review the police report, get witness statements, and collect other accident-related evidence to come to these conclusions.
- Build a case: With the evidence we collect from the investigation, our attorney can build a solid case against the liable party. By having witness statements, photo and video evidence, and the evidence the police collected, we can help you have a better chance of winning your case.
- Handle communications: After sustaining an injury in a boating accident, you could have to deal with the insurance company. We can handle all communications, so you do not have to. This can also help you avoid saying anything that could hurt your chances of recovering compensation.
- Determine your case’s value: Our team can assess the damages you incurred because of your injuries. By reviewing your damages, we can estimate the total value of how much your case is worth.
- Negotiate with opposing attorneys: We can negotiate a favorable settlement to help you get the maximum compensation for your injuries. We understand insurance companies’ negotiation tactics and do not let them phase us.
- Court representation: If your case goes to court, our team can build a solid case, present it to the judge, provide evidence, and bring in witnesses. Then, the judge can determine how much compensation the liable party owes you.
Our firm’s mission is to stand up to insurance companies that want to deny you a fair settlement. When you get hurt because of someone else’s mistake, they need to face accountability. At Herschensohn Law, we can fight for a fair settlement on your behalf.
People who sustain injuries in boating accidents could have to deal with the after-effects for a long time. Depending on the severity of their injuries, they could miss work for a long time or have extensive medical bills. With that, it is essential for people who sustained injuries to seek compensation from the liable party. This way, they can avoid financial hardship because of their injuries.
Boating accident victims could recover economic and non-economic damages, which party for their losses.
Economic Damages Boating Accident Victims Could Recover
After getting in a boating accident, you could recover compensation for your monetary losses. These are out-of-pocket expenses you had to pay because of your injuries. Examples of economic damages after a boating accident could include:
- Medical bills: This category involves out-of-pocket costs for any type of medical treatment, such as hospitalizations, surgeries, doctor’s visits, emergency room care, diagnostic tests, or medications.
- Future medical bills: You may recover the costs of future medical bills if your injuries require medical treatment after the case settles.
- Lost income: This compensation covers the money you lost if you had to miss work while recovering from your injuries.
- Future lost income: If your injuries require you to miss work far in the future or if you cannot return to work at all, you could recover future lost income. This could also include the loss of work benefits such as retirement or medical insurance.
Our attorney can calculate the value of your future losses.
Non-Economic Damages Boating Accident Victims Could Recover
Non-economic damages could compensate you for your non-monetary, subjective losses. These focus more on the physical and emotional turmoil you had due to your injuries. Examples of non-economic damages you could recover after a boating accident include:
- Pain and suffering: This accounts for the physical pain, discomfort, and anguish you experienced because of your injuries. This could also include the inconvenience your injuries caused you.
- Emotional distress: You may receive awards for the negative psychological impacts the accident or your injuries caused. If you dealt with anxiety, depression, or other emotional issues, you could include emotional distress damages to your claim.
Our boating accident attorney in Kent, WA, can calculate the value of your non-economic damages to determine how much your case is worth.
People we’ve helped
“Very knowledgeable and trustworthy. Zach Herschensohn provided me with excellent service. He kept me well informed and explained complicated issues in a way I could understand. He took the lead and guided me through everything necessary to achieve a successful outcome. Overall, I am very pleased with his service and would highly recommend him to anyone.”
“Herschensohn Law worked by my side for almost four years when I was in an auto accident and were outstanding in everything they did! They went above and beyond to make my lawsuit as easy and stress free as possible for me while consistently showing genuine care for my wellbeing. They even recommended amazing health care professionals for my injuries! Anything/everything I may have been confused/concerned about was addressed/explained so I felt comfortable with each move made in my lawsuit. Professional, courteous and attentive are just a few words I would use to describe this law firm and although I hope to never be in a similar situation again - if I do, Herschensohn Law will be my first call!”
“Zach and his team performed beyond my expectations! I couldn't have had a better firm in my corner!”
“This was such a great experience.”
“Zach will always take time and give you quality advice that you can trust. Highly recommended!”
There are several types of recreational boating accidents that could occur. They include:
- Collisions between two boats
- Collisions with wakes, waves, or submerged objects
Regardless of how the accident occurred, if a driver acted negligently, you could seek compensation. Our attorney can look at the type of accident to determine liability.
To hold the driver liable, they must have acted negligently. To prove negligence, you must show the driver had a duty of care, breached their duty, the breach of duty caused injuries, and the injured parties sustained damages.
Collisions Between Two Boats
Two boats can collide for various reasons, such as:
- A boat did not allow the boat with the right-of-way to go first.
- One boat is too close to another boat, causing an accident.
- One of the boat drivers is not paying attention and does not see a boat coming in their direction until it is too late.
When two boats collide, responsibility could fall on one or both operators. In addition, the passengers in the boats could sue the at-fault driver if they sustained injuries.
Collisions with Wakes, Waves, or Submerged Objects
Boat drivers must look out for potentially hazardous situations while driving. Many factors could determine liability when this type of boat accident occurs, such as:
- The size of the wake
- The speed of the boat
- The amount of boat traffic on the waters
If a boat hits a wake and is in a no-wake zone, the injured party could hold the boater who created the wake accountable.
The boat driver is sometimes negligent when a large wave causes an accident. It depends on if they are driving with due care when this happens. The same goes for if they hit a submerged object. If the driver utilizes nautical maps and drives safely, they may not be liable for the accident if they hit a submerged object.
According to the Seattle Police Harbor Patrol, boating operators must have safety equipment on board. Required safety equipment includes:
- Personal flotation devices: The boating operator must provide at least one wearable flotation device per person on the boat. The flotation device must fit them.
- Fire extinguishers: All motorized boats with compartments where explosive or flammable vapors can get trapped must carry the correct type of fire extinguisher.
- Lighting equipment: Boats that operate from sunset to sunrise must show approved running lights. Larger boats need red and green sidelights and white lights dictated by their size and configuration.
If a further injury occurs during an accident because there was not proper safety equipment on board, the boat driver could face further punishment.
RCW § 4.16.080 states you usually have three years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit against the liable party. While this seems like a long time, there are several steps our attorney can take before a lawsuit is necessary.
We encourage you to connect with our firm soon after the accident to give us enough time to prepare a solid case and meet the deadline.
“Zach will always take time and give you quality advice that you can trust. Highly recommended!”
After sustaining an injury in a boating accident, you may want to get a legal advocate on your side. At Herschensohn Law, we have our boating accident lawyer in Kent, WA, who can help you recover the maximum compensation for your losses.
Contact us today for a free consultation. We can meet with you to discuss your legal options and determine what to do next. During the consultation, we can listen to you, answer your questions, and give you down-to-earth legal advice.
Our results speak for themselves
After a worker was electrocuted on a construction site and suffered life-changing injuries, we fought and won on their behalf.
When a retired man was killed in a truck accident, we made sure his grieving family got fair compensation.
When a defective medical device harmed our client, we fought to ensure they had the financial compensation needed to recover.
Hurt? Let our law firm handle the details
When you request your free consultation, Kent personal injury attorney Zach Herschensohn will listen to you, answer your questions, lay out your legal options, and give you down-to-earth legal advice.
When you work with our law office, there are no obligations, hidden fees, or fine print. It’s that simple.