School Bus Accident Attorneys in Kent, WA
School bus accidents are a major concern among parents, especially regarding the safety of their children. School buses carry teachers, administrators, parents, and volunteers but mostly, they transport students to and from school. Parents worry that their kids may be injured while riding on school buses.
Unfortunately, school bus accidents are not uncommon on our roads and highways. These accidents include minor bruises and scrapes to more serious injuries resulting in hospitalization and even death. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), school bus accidents caused roughly 4,800 injuries and more than 54 deaths in 2020 alone.
When injured in a school bus accident, you might be entitled to compensation especially if you suffered serious injuries. Herschensohn Law firm has represented many clients who were injured in a school bus, including those involving children. We help victims obtain compensation for their losses following these tragic incidents. If you have suffered injuries after a bus accident, be sure to contact us, and we’ll help you pursue compensation for damages.
Several different factors play a role in causing school bus accidents. These may include:
- Driver negligence – This is one of the most common causes of school bus accidents. Drivers are responsible for keeping passengers safe and must not drive while they are distracted or too tired.
- Defective roadways – Roads that have been built recently or those with poor drainage and potholes pose a risk to buses.
- Driving under the influence – Driving under the influence is another major cause of school bus accidents. NHTSA reports that in 2020, among children (14 and younger) who were killed in motor vehicle crashes, over one-fifth (21%) were killed in drunk-driving crashes. If you are drinking alcohol or using drugs while driving a school bus, you may be putting your students at risk for an accident.
- Fatigued bus drivers – If you’re tired from long hours at work or getting up early every day, it’s crucial that you take frequent breaks so that you can function at your best.
- Poor bus maintenance – School buses are made up of various components and systems, which must be maintained properly to be safe for passengers. These include tires, brakes, and other systems. When these components are not properly maintained, it can lead to failure in the system, which may make the bus unsafe for students and other road users.
- Inadequately trained drivers – Many states require that all new drivers undergo training at the state’s Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) offices. When a driver has been certified by the DMV, they are considered adequately trained to drive a school bus safely. However, if a driver does not complete their required training at the DMV, they may not be adequately prepared for driving a school bus and may put students in danger.
- Distracted driving – Distracted driving occurs when a driver takes their eyes off the road for any reason, including texting while driving. Drivers who are texting, talking on cell phones, or even eating always put the safety of the bus occupants at risk.
- Brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
People we’ve helped
“Very knowledgeable and trustworthy. Zach Herschensohn provided me with excellent service. He kept me well informed and explained complicated issues in a way I could understand. He took the lead and guided me through everything necessary to achieve a successful outcome. Overall, I am very pleased with his service and would highly recommend him to anyone.”
“Herschensohn Law worked by my side for almost four years when I was in an auto accident and were outstanding in everything they did! They went above and beyond to make my lawsuit as easy and stress free as possible for me while consistently showing genuine care for my wellbeing. They even recommended amazing health care professionals for my injuries! Anything/everything I may have been confused/concerned about was addressed/explained so I felt comfortable with each move made in my lawsuit. Professional, courteous and attentive are just a few words I would use to describe this law firm and although I hope to never be in a similar situation again - if I do, Herschensohn Law will be my first call!”
“Zach and his team performed beyond my expectations! I couldn't have had a better firm in my corner!”
“This was such a great experience.”
“Zach will always take time and give you quality advice that you can trust. Highly recommended!”
Injuries from a bus accident can lead to serious injuries. If you have been injured in an accident, you may be entitled to damages for past and future medical bills. In a personal injury case, the plaintiff is entitled to recover damages such as:
Past and Future Medical Expenses
The past and future medical expenses include the cost of hospitalization, prescription medications, physical therapy, chiropractic treatments, orthopedic shoes, and other medical expenses. All of these are expenses that occur during the victim’s lifetime but continue until the victim dies. This includes care for injuries sustained in a bus accident.
Loss of Income
If you have lost your job due to injuries sustained in a bus accident, you may also be entitled to compensation for lost income. This compensation can be used to pay living expenses until your condition allows you to return to work. In some cases, this compensation may be sufficient to provide full-time support during your recovery period without causing further financial strain on your family.
The wrongful death claim includes all damages incurred as a result of someone else’s negligent behavior resulting in death. If a person dies following an accident caused by another person’s negligence, his/her family could file a claim against the negligent party.
Pain and Suffering
Pain and suffering damages are awarded to compensate for the physical and emotional suffering caused by the accident. Pain and suffering can include anything from physical pain, such as broken bones or head injuries, to emotional trauma, such as depression and anxiety.
Mental anguish refers to mental distress brought on by emotional distress or traumatic stress. You may experience both physical and mental anguish when you get injured in an accident. You may also feel sadness or grief over losing your loved one because of an accident.
Loss of Consortium
The loss of consortium refers to the loss of love, affection, care, and companionship due to injuries sustained during an accident. This includes loss of sexual relations with one’s partner and emotional support from family members injured after a school bus accident.
Loss of Enjoyment of Life
The loss of enjoyment of life refers to the inability to pursue activities that you were previously able to do before getting injured in an accident. This includes activities such as going out for dinner with friends, going shopping, and playing games. When a school bus accident injury deprives a victim of the ability to enjoy life as before, they can sue for damages.
Disability or Disfigurement
If you were injured in a bus accident and have been unable to return to work or perform daily activities because of your injuries, you may be entitled to compensation. You may need an attorney to prove disability through medical reports to pursue compensation for disability/disfigurement.
The Herschensohn Law firm covers all types of personal injury cases. We represent individuals who have been injured in car accidents, construction sites, motorcycle accidents, and other areas. Our team of attorneys is dedicated to helping our clients receive the compensation they deserve.
We understand that a serious school bus accident can leave you with many financial obligations, and we will help you go after the compensation you deserve for your injuries. We understand how challenging it can be to navigate the court system, especially if it involves serious injuries or wrongful death. We are committed to helping our clients get the justice they deserve and helping them move forward with their lives after an accident.
Our law firm will work with the injured student/passenger and their family to ensure they are aware of all available options. We will gather evidence that shows who was at fault for the accident and enforce responsibility. This includes gathering medical records, surveillance video, and the police report, as well as interviewing all parties involved to prove their case.
Insurance companies often try to get past evidence at trial by claiming that there was no liability on their end—that the victim’s negligence caused the accident. Our law firm has successfully proven liability in many complex cases where multiple parties were involved, and they tried to blame each other for their alleged wrongdoing. Potentially liable parties may include:
- School bus driver
- Owner of the bus – including the state, other government entities, and private companies
- The company responsible for the school bus maintenance
- The Manufacturer of the bus, if it’s proven that the vehicle or any part was defective
- The state’s municipality in which the accident occurred
- Any other negligent third party has proven to have caused the accident
We will ensure that your case follows the state’s regulatory framework, such as the statute of limitations. Every state has a time limit to file a personal injury case. We will ensure that you don’t miss out on your potential compensation due to late or inappropriate filing of your personal injury case.
“Zach will always take time and give you quality advice that you can trust. Highly recommended!”
When it comes to school bus accidents, it is crucial to secure evidence to support your claim. Otherwise, insurance companies can refuse to pay the damages. Therefore, you might decide that you need a lawyer to help you build and prove your case.
At Herschensohn Law, we will evaluate your claim right away so that we can provide you with professional guidance throughout the entire process. An attorney will help you to receive fair compensation for your injuries and losses. Call us at (206) 588-4344 today for a free case evaluation.
Our results speak for themselves
After a worker was electrocuted on a construction site and suffered life-changing injuries, we fought and won on their behalf.
When a retired man was killed in a truck accident, we made sure his grieving family got fair compensation.
When a defective medical device harmed our client, we fought to ensure they had the financial compensation needed to recover.
Hurt? Let our law firm handle the details
When you request your free consultation, Kent personal injury attorney Zach Herschensohn will listen to you, answer your questions, lay out your legal options, and give you down-to-earth legal advice.
When you work with our law office, there are no obligations, hidden fees, or fine print. It’s that simple.